Old 25-05-2004, 04:10 AM
Chuck Gadd

Default Free C02 regulator

On Wed, 19 May 2004 09:24:16 -0700, "Sir Douglas Cook"
wrote:

Completely false at levels encountered in our aquariums. CO2 levels
elevated to the levels used for planted aquaria (40ppm max) will not
prevent any absorption of O2.

Wrong, it make sense that 40ppm could be oxygen which is replaced
with CO2. As stated above.

It might "make sense" but it's not true. Changing the amount of CO2
won't alter the solubility of O2 in water.

I'm pretty sure you are really just trolling, and not actually trying
to debate or learn. If you are open to actual facts, and not just
spouting what acronyms various people have after than names, here is a
link that hopefully will help.

http://webusers.xula.edu/cdoumen/CAP/Oxygen2.html

About half way down the page, the section is labelled WATER:

The amount of gas dissolved is dependent on

* nature of the gas
* pressure of the gas in the surrounding medium (air)
* solubilty coefficient of the gas which is dependent in turn on
o temperature
o salinity

The solubility of a gas in water is expressed in Henry's Law

C = A. P/760 = A. % gas in air/100

where

* C = concentration in ml/L
* P = partial pressure of the gas
* A = solubiltiy coefficient

Note that the amount of CO2 in the water is not one of the factors in
the solubility of O2 in water.

Additionally, water CAN hold 30 times more CO2 than O2. It won't
usually have those levels, since the partial pressure of CO2 in air is
much less than the partial pressure of O2 in air.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua