Old 25-05-2004, 06:04 AM
Robert Flory

Default Several DIY Yeast CO2 System questions.

Try the larger flat bottomed juice jars. They last longer and don't tip
over as easily.

I tried all sorts of recipes, 2.5 cups of sugar does well. The amount of
yeast isn't important, except at start up. Lots of yeast gives a fast start
up, just a pinch makes for a slow start up.

I put about 3.5 - 4 cups to a big juice jar. It runs about a month. It
begins to slow down after 3 weeks. I use two jars on a 55 gallon tank.
works fine, gives me good levels of CO2

Bob

"Dances With Ferrets" wrote in message
om...
For any who may be familiar with the 2-liter-soda-bottle method of CO2
production... using baking soda as a buffering/stabilizing
compound... Could someone tell me what the optimum mix of water,
yeast, and baking soda would be using this method? (in case it makes
a difference in the formula, the yeast culture in this case is an
ethanol-resistant strain commonly used in wine-making). Also, how
often would one recommend refreshing the solution in the bottled
culture? Or would it be best to discard the culture and start a new
one? If discarding, how far in advance should the new culture be
started to supply a consistent amount of CO2?