Old 25-05-2004, 08:34 AM
jonperry jonperry is offline
Registered User

Default pruning young pear trees

My first post so a quick intro. We moved to Somerset 3 years ago from Wales. The lure to the house we bought was a large garden (about 3/4 acre). The downside was that the house had been virtually uninhabited for 12 years and the garden very neglected. In addition, we are very much novice gardeners. We've spent the last 3 years weeding, clearing, and planting a number of shrubs and trees.

That's the intro. Now to my question. Two of the trees we planted are pear trees. I ordered them from the Good Housekeeping magazine and planted them in February (I think!). Both trees are doing well. Essentially they resemble beanpoles with numerous short shoots and leaves sprouting all the way up. I want them to be 'bush' (?) trees eventually but I'm not sure how or when to prune them. I've searched the net for advice but the only info I've found seems to be about pruning more mature trees.

Any advice gratefully received.