Old 25-05-2004, 09:08 AM
gary davis

Default slug control

On 5/24/04 12:58 AM, in article ,
"martin" wrote:

On Mon, 24 May 2004 06:41:03 GMT, gary davis
wrote:

On 5/19/04 6:46 AM, in article
, "Jane
Ransom" wrote:

In article , Mariann
writes

I have a wander in the garden every evening with a bucket ... put all the
snails ans slugs I find in the bucket carefully and take them to the nearby
field ...so far none has made it back ..as far as I know ...

Some years ago someone on this group tried an experiment. He painted the
shells of snails a conspicuous colour and then chucked them as far over
his hedge as he could hurl them. They were back in the garden in a
couple of days!!!!!!

Hummm....could it be that the neighbour was throwing them back???

or painting snails and throwing them over the fence too? :-)

Now that would be very funny.
I heard a story that is not a gardening story but does (maybe) relate to the
same, or similar, scenario as above.
This is a story "Made In Canada" by...I don't know who. I heard about it
many years ago and cannot verify it's authenticy.
Two Canadian brothers, as I heard it, had their out house pushed over
every halloween and decided to stay up and watch, all night if necessary, to
catch the culprit.
They waited and waited but nothing happened so in the very early morning
they finally went to bed.
The next day they woke up to a turned over out house...
The second world war began and one of the brothers went overseas...he
never came back and the outhouse was never turned over since! I am sure that
the brother 'lost' is still grinning...just like the painting neighbour!
Happy Gardening All
Gary
Fort Langley BC
Canada