Old 25-05-2004, 12:10 PM
Velvet

Default Free C02 regulator

Sir Douglas Cook wrote:

Sorry,,, I was a DIY CO2... but I bet you didn't go to the link provided...
But in it you would find quote::

I am using DIY C02, with jello, fed into a filter.
I've used this many times before and this particular
bottle had been bubbling successfully for over a week,
with no problem. For a reason I can't understand, it
suddenly bubbled over into the tank sometime during
the night. Although there was red jello residue
throughout the whole air line, the tank had very
slight brownish residue, with no sign of red. Upon
waking I found my fish dead.

End Quote

But, even though, since I have had so much feed back
I will one day get a CO2 pump...
When my knownledge gets strong enough
I'll be able to use a CO2 pump wisely.

Try a small version of it. Like the Floramat system. You push CO2 from
a compressed can (disposable) using a button on the top, to fill a
chamber, that sits in the tank, with water passing across (either
open-bottomed, like a bell, or with air pump moving water in and up and
out past the CO2). The chamber empties of CO2 as it's absorbed into the
water (and the tank) and you refill as and when, depending on how much
CO2 you want.

That can, however, be multiple times a day if you have a lot of strongly
growing plants (and want to keep them that way) - or for less demanding
plants, just twice a day.

Never any risk of CO2 yeast mix getting into the tank (it's compressed
CO2 can), no risk of needle-valve getting stuck or regulator failure and
blowing the whole lot into the tank, etc etc.

Great way to start out with CO2 IMO. Yes the cans need replacing, but
they're not *that* expensive, and it's a whole lot less hassle - and
worry-free, than compared with DIY CO2, and a damn sight cheaper than a
full-blown CO2 system.

--

Velvet