Old 25-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Guy Bradley

Default Help! Can Someone Identify This Weed?

"Denny" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

This stuff sprang up almost overnight in my lawn. A local by-law
prohibits the use of chemical herbicides, but it is only in a small
patch and won't be too much work to pull out. Area is Southern

Ontario
Canada.

Thanks in advance.

Image at home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/Weed1.jpg

Looks to me like hawkweed. This is a perennial plant whose stems exude
a milky sap. A number of species exist and without the actual flowers
I can't tell which is which. Leaves are basal, which seems to apply to
the plant in your picture. Put "hawkweed" in a search engine and
you'll get plenty of references.

Guy Bradley
Chesterfield MO
zone 6