Old 25-05-2004, 03:10 PM
C. James Strutz

Default Question -

"Kate ......" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me how to id a dead elm tree. I have heard for

years,
you look for dead elm trees to find morels ( mushrooms ) in an area.

Any
help will be appreciated. kate

Elm trees have a silvery bark and toothed, flame-shaped, alternate
leaves. The canopy is usually vase shaped (gracefully widens at the
top). Sometimes the roots look like fins where they go into the
ground. Elm trees can be dead or dying for morels to fruit. Look for
trees where the bark is falling off in sheaths.

The morel season is pretty much over in the continental United States,
except in the very northern regions.