Old 25-05-2004, 05:18 PM
George

Default Love water and gardens...but need advice!

"Kathie" wrote in message
s.com...
My yard in Durham, NC, has the perfect place for a two-level water
garden with a rock falls inbetween. I am a veteran gardener, but a
novice with water gardens. I love the sound and sight of moving water,
but hesitate (read, "chicken out") when it comes to installing water
because of what seems like tremendous maintenance considerations...can
anybody help me out with this? A "yay" or "nay", and, why...?
--
Kathie
Kat ~=^..^=~

If it is installed properly, and you have proper filtration, don't overfeed,
etc, your garden shouldn't be that much maintenance. And believe me, if you do
it right, you will not regret it, and will have hours of enjoyment out of it.
Buy a good book on garden ponds, and read it cover to cover. Read the posts in
this newsgroup so that you can learn what to expect. It does help if you know
something about fish, since that knowledge comes in handy, especially when they
get sick. I've raised fish for 35 years. Everything from local to tropical
freshwater, and even few salt water tanks. Learn about water quality. It is
ALL about water quality. But don't let the project intimidate you. Think it
through before you start. The better your work plan, the easier the install
will be. I have a 1500 gallon pond, and it only took me three days to finish
it. But I planned it off and on for about five years (I had to convince the
mrs, and then there was the issue of money). Obviously, you don't have to take
that long, but do take your time about it, and don't start it until you are
confortable doing it. I hope this helps. Good luck, and happy ponding!