Old 25-05-2004, 05:32 PM
Anne Hedden

Default In search of tiny plants!

Thanks everyone, I'll definately look into the families you suggested. Yes,
I consider lichens plants. Maybe I should have said "plant life" to make it
sound more general.

I'm making a floating garden, based around magnets. Floating in the air,
that is. My own little, floating world on my desk. And to think they said
I had a God complex. Hence the styrofoam. The magnet part is coming along
slowly, need some more equipment next paycheck, but the design should work
in theory.

The styrofoam is a styrofoam ball, with magnets under its surface so they
repell against an electromagnet plate. It's somewhat complex/silly, but in
the end, I think I'll produce an interesting piece of art, or at the very
least, a curiousity to impress brainy chicks that I bring home from the bar.
It's an expensive ornament, as magnets lose their charge over time, so you'd
have to replace them. If the magnets don't work, I'll still have a sphere,
a ball o' life, to hang from a string, as it will be feather-light.

There, now you competent gardeners can go off and make it faster than I
can... damn skilled folk...

"JennyC" wrote in message

| "Anne Hedden" wrote in

| Looking for very small, very light plants, nothing over 1 inch in
| height or width at maturity, or very light mosses. Any and all
| suggestions very welcome. Beauty is important but not necessary.
| Must be able to grow these plants hydroponically in styrofoam.

I would REALLY like to know what you need them for ?
Jenny