Old 25-05-2004, 06:08 PM
David Ross

Default Small yellow flowers

joy2wrld wrote:

Hopefully somebody in this newsgroup can identify these small yellow flowers
(five small leaves) that have suddenly appeared in my grass -- they are
everywhere. Any idea what type of weed and how to get rid of them?

If the flowers have four petals and the leaves are divided into
five angular leaflets with toothed edges, it's cinquefoil (French
for "five leaf"). The technical name is Potentilla
tabernaemontanii (also known as P. verna). It's depicted in color
on the cover of the 1979 edition of Sunset's "New Western Garden
Book".

If this is the correct identificatiion, hand pulling will require a
paring knife (also required if instead it's oxalis). In either
case, a broadleaf herbicide will also be effective on a grass
lawn.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/