Old 25-05-2004, 06:08 PM
DaveH

Default What are you growing this year?

I'm always interested to know what others are growing.

For me this year--
Tomatoes--

German: After trying about 200 varieties, I've settled on this
occasionally oxheart shaped red as the best of the lot, which I grown
from saved seed. Wispy foliage, not very vigorous, moderate yields,
fruit size variable; but complex, dense, sweet "classic" tomato taste.
I take kosher salt to the garden, tear a fruit in half, and munch
'till I'm a sticky mess.

Reif Red: Very close to German, sometimes better. More vigorous,
higher yields, beefsteak type fruits.

Pineapple: Almost sickeningly sweet bicolor. My wife's favorite.
Fantastic with oil/vinegar and fresh basil on good toast.
Very sturdy, disease resistant--still standing last year when most
other plants were affected by wilt. Moderately high yields.
Really a great tomato.

Fantastic: The best hybrid I've tried. Way superior to the usual
suspects like the "Boy" and "girl" series.

San Marzano: First time growing this year.

Not growing Brandywine for this time this year. I've tried all the
strains, and though BW is one of the best, I think it's a bit
overrated. Can verge on being too tangy/peppery. German and Reif Red
are superior, imo.

I've never tried Park's Whopper, Mortgage lifter, and some of the
other classics. I think the darker tomatoes like Pruden's purple and
Black Krim are mediocre. Too delicate and soft. Completely subjective,
of course.

Other veggies--
Hale's best cantaloupe. First time for this variety. I haven't grown
melons in some years. Previously grew Ambrosia which is so sweet it
tastes like it's been injected with sugar.

Pumpkins, Zucchini, Basil, other herbs.

Pole and bush beans. Cascade Giant, Fortex, Blue Lake.

I might do corn this year. Kandy Korn has been the standard, but I
might try Silver Queen this year.

DaveH