Old 25-05-2004, 06:08 PM
nswong

Default Watermelons not working out

Hi FarmerDill,

Despite popular conceptions watermelons really do not like a lot of

water. I
grow without irrigation and they are among the most drought

resistant veggies I
grow,

I also donot irrigate my watermelon, but from what I observe, those at
moist soil are grow faster and the leave are larger than those at dry
soil. May be this is due to I donot mulch them.

Deep watering on an extended interval is far better than repeated

shallow
watering.

I think a soil with good infiltration, non irrigate will be better
than deep watering by forcing the root to grow deep for water, this as
well will make the nutrient at the deeper part of soil available to
plant.

4. Lastly watermelons will grow happily in beach sand but sulk in

heavy clay
and mud soils.

I think this is due to watermelon root does not strong in penetration.
Amend heavy clay with high lignin organic matter like rice hull will
solve this problem.

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m