Old 25-05-2004, 06:14 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default ponds u say

WARDL895 wrote:
huh? wow im well confused nuclear ponds? wtf?????? and i highlight the
"F"!!! i like my pond because i can look out of my window in a morning
and see my fav guys swiming about so happy,

I think some people may be confusing waste pools with cooling ponds. As
Tom said, the cooling ponds never touch the redioactive isotopes inside
the reactor. The cooling system in the reactor is a closed loop system
that uses a heat exchanger to transfer the heat out of the water in the
reactor cooling system. The reactor coolant and the water from the
cooling pond never physically mingle.

OTOH, the waste pools are where discarded fuel rods are held. It's only
supposed to be temporary but until the politic*ians decide what should
be done, the fule rods still sit in many "temporary" pools. Those pools
are supposedly built so that nothing escapes from them.

Susan (too many years working on nuclear fuel design from the computer
modeling angle and whose father is a nuclear engineer)

shsimko[@]duke[.]edu