Old 25-05-2004, 08:02 PM
paghat

Default Let's Play "Name That Wildflower!"

In article , "Anonny Moose"
wrote:

An extremely tiny (one inch tall) wild groundcover with eency yellow
flowers, which is certainly a locally native wildflower around Puget
Sound:
http://www.paghat.com/images/littleyellowweed_ap.jpg

This looks like the black medic I find around my place, so my guess is
Medicago lupulina.

Karen
Portland, OR

That was a super good guess, especially given how crappy my photo was. I
just now went out to the street edge to see if it had any of the little
black seeds of Black Medic, & it doesn't, but your suggestion led me to a
website that noted Black Medic and Least Hop Clover greatly look alike.
Turns out it's Trifolium dubium, one of the commonest early spring
roadside weeds.

One way or t'other, this newsgroup is so often so helpful.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"