Old 25-05-2004, 09:05 PM
Rich

Default Watermelons not working out

"nswong" wrote in message
Hi,

"belly" wrote in message
nk.net...

hmmm... honestly, I've never had a hell of a lot of luck with

melons,
myself, mine always seem kind of puny, and not very many of them at
all. Do you have any gardening acquaintances around your area that
have had any luck with watermelons? Maybe your local agricultural
annex or nursery could help you out with some specific info, like

good
strains for the area, things like that... let us know if you find
anything, I'd like to find a key to this myself.
How late did you wind up planting last year, anyway?

About one year ago, I bought few difference type watermelon, eat them
and keep their seeds, mixed all together, sow to every part of my
land, two of them grow well, the fruit are one time bigger and sweeter
than what available on the market.

From what I tested out, watermelon like full sun, moist soil but not
water log, air circulation should be good in between the leave. The
soil should be easy to penetrate by root(I think their root are not
strong enough for pentrate heavy soil)

I heard people here said, rotation are very important for watermelon.
A land have to wait about five year to plant again watermelon. Not
tested myself yet.

By the time I do this, I know not much of agriculture. I believe will
find out more from my next experiment, may be by next year.

I do suggest you do exactly what I do, buy a few type of full ripe
watermelon, mixed their seeds, sow to everywhere before a light rain
are coming. This will tell you which place are best for what type of
watermelon.

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

Well that's a good idea. Trouble is I don't have a big yard. I live in the
city and my "garden" is 5' x 5' (think more along the lines of kitty litter
box) so I have to get it right the first time, or my 5 measly watermelons
won't work out. My wife tells me to just go to the store and buy a
watermelon. I'm starting to think that's a good idea. I'll buy some
watermelons and place them in my garden, and tape the vines to them. That's
not cheating is it?