Old 26-05-2004, 04:23 AM
sw

Default slug control

Martin wrote:

Vicky wrote:
How can I get rid of the little gits that keep eating my lettuce
plants - an inch high and eaten overnight. :-(

I don't want to use pellets so what alternatives are there apart from
not growing lettuce?

Vicky

Theakston's Old Peculiar in a shallow bowl. Or indeed any other beer you may
have lying around.

See earlier thread.

I vouch for Tesco cheapest bitter if you can't find a publican willing
to give you the barrel ends for free. I bought proper slug/snail traps
from a garden centre, heavy green plastic pots to be sunk in the ground,
with removable lids so you can see what you've caught and whether the
trap needs emptying. I think the big rectangular traps have entrances
too small for well-grown snails. Whatever you use, be certain to leave a
twig or something as a ladder out of the beer otherwise ground beetles
will also drown in it -- and they're your friends, because they eat
slugs.

I've tried the cat-litter-inna-box sold as slug deterrent, it didn't
deter them. They didn't seem that bothered by the wood ash and sawdust,
either. Best permanent deterrent I've found is a sharp knife wielded by
torchlight on a damp night. Has anyone else seen the thing like giant
forceps with a torch attached to allow people to wander around picking
up slugs at night? Sells for c. UKP13?

regards
sarah

--