Old 26-05-2004, 05:02 AM
simy1

Default Watermelons not working out

(FarmerDill) wrote in message ...

3. I know Arizona is supposed to be desert like but twice a week watering?
Despite popular conceptions watermelons really do not like a lot of water. I
grow without irrigation and they are among the most drought resistant veggies I
grow,
Deep watering on an extended interval is far better than repeated shallow
watering.

4. Lastly watermelons will grow happily in beach sand but sulk in heavy clay
and mud soils.

well, Dill, I am tempted. I do have a new garden that is beach sand (I
dumped several tons of compost on it), and next year I do want to grow
either melons or watermelons. But will melons grow in sand (heavily
mulched/composted)? What about vine borers (plentiful here)? And twice
a week watering too much? Sand in midsummer around here dries in two
days.. (this is Michigan, Zone 5.5). Oh, and finally: what about cover
(hoophouse) for early starts? Does it help? I do have that.