Old 26-05-2004, 10:18 AM
Nick Wagg

Default Price of trees

"Brian" wrote in message

"Neil Jones" wrote in message
I was in one of my nearby garden centres at the weekend having a general
browse when I noticed a beautiful specimen labelled as Acer palmatum
var. dissectum 'Ornatum'. At a guess I'd say it was about 2m tall with a
spread of about 4-5m. It was in a *huge* pot.

I had to look at the price out of curiosity - £2500 (!)

This didn't exactly strike me as good value for money. Do people ever
buy plants for this sort of price?

Alternatively, would they have simply put a price on, knowing they'll
never sell it, but "nothing ventured nothing gained"?

Neil

That tree would be very many years old and have demanded very much care

and skill.
It would transplant into a new garden and give instant effect that would
last a lifetime.
That same money would only buy an old 'banger' that would soon become
redundant.
Fortunately, at long last, plantsmen are able to achieve an income that
reflects all their training, work and expertise.
It will sell~ and was probably bought by the centre knowing that it

will
sell.
Best Wishes Brian

I blame the instant garden TV programmes.
--
Nick Wagg