Old 26-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Ignoramus29645

Default COMPOST PILE:Turning over, and lime

In article , nswong wrote:
Hi,

"Ignoramus29645" wrote in
message ...

Now, a question: I heard that adding a bit of lime to compost would
speed up rotting and make better compost. Is that true? Why? If it

is
true, how much lime to add?

Earlier, people believe adding a small amout of lime or wood ashes
will help to speed up decomposition at earlier stage, especially pine
needles and other acidic are in great amount. But latest they said
it's not recommended anymore.

This is from my compost notes, don't know where it come from already.

[Compost notes start]

It was once thought that ground limestone should be added to the
compost pile. This is no longer considered necessary since the
organisms function well with a pH of between 4.2 and 7.2. The compost
naturally will become less acid as it matures. Adding lime helps
convert ammonium nitrogen to ammonia gas, which can create an odor
problem as it escapes from the pile and can reduce the nutrient
content of the finished compost. Adding lime may also cause the pH of
the finished compost to be higher than optimal for plant growth.

[Compost notes end]

Thanks, I guess I won't do it.

Regards,
Wong