Old 26-05-2004, 05:19 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default ponds u say

"Susan H. Simko" wrote in message
WARDL895 wrote:
huh? wow im well confused nuclear ponds? wtf?????? and i highlight the
"F"!!! i like my pond because i can look out of my window in a morning
and see my fav guys swiming about so happy,

I think some people may be confusing waste pools with cooling ponds. As
Tom said, the cooling ponds never touch the redioactive isotopes inside
the reactor. The cooling system in the reactor is a closed loop system
that uses a heat exchanger to transfer the heat out of the water in the
reactor cooling system. The reactor coolant and the water from the
cooling pond never physically mingle.

snip

And the cooling towers are a sight to see. I worked at a plant for a few
months, doing on nuclear stuff, but I parked near the towers every day. It
was weird to see how the updraft of the steam could actually pull the flow
of water slightly inward towards the center of the tower. Yup, the water
don't fall straight down in there. Very odd to see.

BV.