Old 26-05-2004, 05:30 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Black bamboo - bargain?

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
A friend of mine bought some good quality mature plants to dress a TV
location and he has over-ordered so is offering me a very tall black
bamboo (approx 6m) in a large tub. He wants £100 for it and since I'm
looking for some attractive screening plants anyway, I'm tempted. The
plant looks healthy enough and is being regularly watered. There are
approx 20 stems, a few of which are already black while others are
presumably in the process of turning black. Lots of healthy looking
leaves.

First question: is this a steal at £100?

Too right, I've seen large pots, as you describe, of full sized 18ft (6m)
black bamboo (scaffold pole diameter at base) going for about £750. Even
ones at £320 weren't that tall.

Second question: Is the black bamboo one of the varieties that roots
like a mad thing all over the place if not shackled?

Did run last summer in a neighbours garden but it has the reputation to be
clump forming and not too invasive in the UK. Might be the weather last
year.

Third question: Can I leave this out all year round?

Yes.

Last question: My soil is clay and it gets pretty soft. Will it die if
it doesn't have good drainage?

No if my neighbours was anything to go by.

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....