Old 26-05-2004, 06:15 PM
Kay Easton

Default pruning young pear trees

In article m,
jonperry writes

Another update. I've found out that the trees are doyenne du comice and
bon chretien. Apparently neither of these is self fertile. This might
explain why I haven't seen any flowers. How do I get them to flower?
--

No - it would only explain why any flowers you may have don't set fruit.

I think you need to be patient. Sometime this year they may start to
throw out side branches, and next year, with luck, you may get flowers.
William's Bon Chretien is flowering group 3, Doyenne du Comice is
flowering group 4, which means it flowers a bit later than the Williams
and so isn't a perfect pollinator, but there is enough overlap between
the two that you should be OK.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: