Old 26-05-2004, 06:15 PM
tuin man

Default chelsea

"Lazarus Cooke" wrote in message
om...
In article , tuin man
wrote:

Diarmuids garden is inclined to evoke a smile and on closer inspection,

the
planting design is superb.

I haven't seen it, but watching the tv series - particularly last
night's conclusion - I got this impression. All the attention of the tv
was on the creation of the baubles, but one got the increasing
impression that the garden was really a very fine piece of planting,
which we barely saw discussed.

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address

Not wishing to be to picky, it was the design of the planting and not the
planting itself to which I was referring to as superb.
Overall, I thought the garden a masterpiece and it takes quite a bit of
talent to employ a ludicrous gimmick which fails to detract from the rest to
the point of redundancy.
I think, in my own case, it was the physiological effects of colour that
evoked a smile rather than the comicality of the piece.
I now wished I had seen the programme about it.
To me it was very similar to the Burren (west of Ireland)
I'm not saying I couldn't find fault with certain aspects of the piece, eg,
the irrigation was set to a point which if continued for much longer would
be the main force in selecting which plants would remain 1 year on. Also, in
nature much of the planting would not remain so pristine and as for the
grass continuing to grow evenly were it passes under the concrete... well
dream-on Diarmuid unless there are a few grow-lights installed (-:.
However in terms of composition... inclusive of the gimmick I would have had
no problem whatsoever in giving it the gold.

Patrick