Old 26-05-2004, 09:08 PM
Doug Bolton

Default Fogger?

Ok, it's been awhile. An update.

I recently purchased a home humidifier that seems more suited to indoor use for
Orchids than the usual ones I've tried.

It's the FamilyCare HV760. Holds 3.8 litres. There's also a 7.6 litre version.
This is an impeller humidifier. It produces cool mist (more like a tiny spray as
it's not really fine enough to define as a mist) by, I'm guessing, agitation. No
nasty wick to maintain. The water here is very soft so I've had to add about 1/2
teaspoon of baking soda to get it to work. Working well now in a 6x12 room. Cost
$30cdn so it's quite inexpensive.

Didn't want anything that produced heat so the warm mist types were out. Early
days but it does seem to work. As I believe Ray said, creates a bit of a mess on
the floor with the water spray so I've put it in an open plastic tub.

Doug Bolton

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 07:41:39 -0500, "Ray"
wrote:

There is no problem for the plants if the humidity is very high, as long as
you've got lots of air movement, courtesy of fans in the room.

Your drywall (I guess that's a misnomer for your conditions), is a whole
different issue.

I was not suggesting that a 2 gph unit was needed for you, merely that when
selecting between the 0.5 liter and 1.5 liter unit, I'd go with the larger
one and a humidistat, as it's easy to cut back on a device's output, but
impossible to increase it beyond the design max. The whole scientific tome
was merely to show that even 1.5 liters might not be as far out of the
ballpark as it may seem.