Old 26-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Phisherman

Default COMPOST PILE:Turning over, and lime

On 26 May 2004 14:21:24 GMT, Ignoramus29645
wrote:

I have a compost pile and asked earlier whether turning it over was
necessary. It was difficult to do with a shovel. Well, I went out and
bought a very nice "Earth Tools" garden fork with neoprene, fiberglass
handles, etc etc. Turning over compost with that fork is trivial!

I could see quite good rotting action inside the pile, as well.

Also saw a black mouse living there. It is amazing that the compost
was comprised of wet chicken shit and stuff, and yet the mouse was
completely clean looking.

Now, a question: I heard that adding a bit of lime to compost would
speed up rotting and make better compost. Is that true? Why? If it is
true, how much lime to add?

There are a number of ways to speed the composting process (proper
brown/green mix, moisture, air, temperature, etc). Compost typically
buffers the pH to neutral. Do not add lime unless you plan to use it
for alkaline-loving plants. Stick to adding organic materials to the
compost.