Old 27-05-2004, 02:05 AM
John McGaw

Default What tree in the NE will rot the slowest?

"TomM in NY" wrote in message
I want to make garden edging out of 3-4" diameter logs, 8 to 10" long

that are
placed vertically in the ground. I don't want to buy plastic or pressure
treated edging that I have seen at the home centers... What type of tree

cut
up in this manner would last the longest in the ground, untreated, that is
native to the central NY area?
Thanks in advance!
tom

If you can get it, osage orange is probably unbeatable. It grows wild around
here although not in great numbers. It is not what I'd call an beautiful
tree but the wood has properties that are quite outstanding.

http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood/osage-orange.htm

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]