Old 27-05-2004, 02:05 AM
Ivy

Default pruning advice for my dwarf lemon tree

Thanks! I appreciate the answer...I will heed your advice. -Ivy

"David Ross" wrote in message
Ivy wrote:

Hello...
I've looked back through the posts but can't find any to answer my
question...

Does anyone know what to prune away and what to leave on a very young

dwarf
lemon tree?

I've had it for 6 mos. and it has flowered, grown one lemon the size of

dime, and now looks to be flowering again...should I prune the new
flowers...or some? It looks like so many...I am clueless and thankful

for
any advice!

Citrus is never pruned promote fruiting (as you would prune a
peach). Citrus is pruned only to remove deadwood and for
correction (e.g., removing crossing branches or branches that touch
the ground). In a garden, citrus is also pruned for aesthetic
purposes; but I would let your young tree grow at least a year
before doing that. In a container, you might want to trim back an
established dwarf citrus tree to keep the foliage commensurate with
the constrained roots; 6 months is generally too soon for that.

Citrus is self-thinning. If it sets too much fruit, much of the
immature fruit will drop off the tree by itself. A failure to keep
any fruit might indicate a lack of nutrients. For citrus, zinc in
important; but you use only a very small amount (in a container,
perhaps a teaspoon per two months).

For my own experience in growing dwarf citrus in containers, see
http://www.rossde.com/garden/dwarf_citrus.html.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean