Old 27-05-2004, 02:07 AM
Steve

Default Question -

steve wrote:
Must be be my lucky day then, I found some fresh morels growing in my
yard, I'm not much of an mushroom person but from what I hear it's a
very coveted mushroom. They were growing underneath spruce pine trees,
no elms in sight. I checked it out carefully to see if its the real
thing and not a poisonous false morel, and yes it seems to be the real
mcoy, So anyone here know how I should cook them, or can I eat them
raw? thanks.

Steve, you must be lucky. I'm not that much of a mushroom person
either, yet I feel a twinge of envy. I can't remember the last time
I actually ate a wild mushroom.
Your post got me looking on the web to find out more about morels. I
found this page and realize it should have been shown early on.
(Maybe it was, I wasn't paying that much attention:

http://www.bluewillowpages.com/mushr...els/trees.html

That answers the original question that started this thread I
believe. Also explains why you have morels with no elm trees. Humm,
I have plenty of aspens and white pines around here...

From the first page, there is this one:

http://www.bluewillowpages.com/mushr...ress_maps.html

That one is pretty informative too. I scroll down to the last map
and well, what do you know.... a dot in the southern Adirondacks.
Maybe I should get out there and look. Of course, the black flies
might eat me alive if I went into the woods. Black fly season
probably ends at the same time as morel season. There's probably a
million morels out there for that very reason (or not).

Steve (the other one) in the Adirondacks