Old 27-05-2004, 03:05 AM
Pam - gardengal

Default What tree in the NE will rot the slowest?

"TomM in NY" wrote in message
I want to make garden edging out of 3-4" diameter logs, 8 to 10" long

that are
placed vertically in the ground. I don't want to buy plastic or pressure
treated edging that I have seen at the home centers... What type of tree

cut
up in this manner would last the longest in the ground, untreated, that is
native to the central NY area?
Thanks in advance!
tom

While not specifically native to the NY area, black locust or Robinia
pseudoacacia is an extremely durable wood with well known properties for
long term contact with soil. It is used extensively for fence posts. It is
native to large parts of the eastern seaboard to the Appalachian Mts and
into parts of the midwest and is very commonly grown throughout all other
areas of the country.

http://www.blacklocust.org/whylocust.html

pam - gardengal