Old 27-05-2004, 03:08 AM
Go Fig

Default Still green...

In article , dkat
wrote:

UV's - none. I don't use them for a reason though I have a friend who had a
very small pond who used one and had crystal clear water. Her pond however
was in a deck (no silt runoff into the pond), was very shaded (that in
itself will keep the algae down) and was extremely small (maybe 3X3x1.5).
I'm not against UV, I just said that this pond has silt eroding into it and
needs more than a simple UV fix.

I agree the pond edge needs to be raised, but more for chemicals that
may be applied to that beautiful lawn and then commingle with the pond
water in heavy rain. I just don't think that that little soil border
is causing that much silt and I doubt much gets past the lawn.

This pic appears to be classic suspended algae:

http://www.thehvscene.com/pond/DSC02147.JPG

I like my almost 'natural' way of doing
things but that is what tickles my 'fancy'.

Lets be fair: you have a pump ? A mechanical filter (maybe) ? Would you
use meds ? How bout potash for all those water hyacinths of yours? Ever
drain your pond for a good cleaning ?

For years here, some posters here have singled out UVs for this
'natural' argument, I don't get it... what could be more unnatural than
an electric water pump ??? UV is a natural occurring action on all
ponds, natural or ornamental.

I'll start my campaign for venturi ozone at some point in the future :-)

jay
Wed May 26, 2004

I'm also extremely lazy,
overworked, underpaid, 5'2", 55 yrs, out of shape, etc... I don't have the
time, energy, muscle or patience to do what a lot of ponders here do. My
setup is extremely simple, relatively small (about 1000 gals at most) and
crystal clear most of the time with very, very, little work involved (I
throw food at the fish, add water when needed, watch the cats make fools of
themselves lusting after the fish). My biggest concern is my three
butterfly koi and my albino cat getting too big for the pond and not knowing
what to do other than build a bigger pond