Old 27-05-2004, 03:09 AM
CJ

Default Sources for "organic material"

How about your local Agway? Many can direct you to someone who has the
stuff in great big piles (or they may have it themselves, especially this
time of year).
For example a nursery/farm a few miles away was where I got my 10 yards of
"stuff" just like you want for about a hundred bucks. It was a blend of
composted cow manure, seafood compost (im in Maine, what else?), loam, and
sawdust(Maine again). The Agway up the road was working on such a pile at
the time with several piles of raw ingredients and a backhoe.
Take a look around farm country, I'm sure you'll find something you can till
into that clay.

good luck and remember to have fun

cj

"actorguy2001" wrote in message
om...
I have a problematic backyard. It's basically two inches of topsoil
on top of at least two feet of clay. It's also flat as a pancake and
lower than my neighbors' yards. Every spring it turns into a swamp.
I need three or four days of dry weather before I can even attempt to
mow it, which is not much of a problem because nothing grows there
very well except nettles.

I'm planning on getting a big load of topsoil to "dome" it, but I
really need to do something about the clay. They say the best thing
to do with clay soil is to work "organic material" into the clay. The
most readily available organic material ( that I don't produce myself!
) is mulch, basically wood chips. I would much rather go with some
kind of compost. Where does one go to find a truck load of compost?

BTW, I live in SE Michigan, if that helps.

Thanks,
Ven Hawkins