Old 27-05-2004, 04:18 AM
Rick

Default Reverse Osmosis and Chloramines

"The Outcaste" wrote in message
I stumbled across the following article (www.ccwa.com/chloramines.htm)
that states that Reverse Osmosis will NOT remove chloramines from
water.

Also this is the first site I've found that lists a toxicity level for
chlorine for fish -- 0.1 mg/l

I don't use RO but have looked into it, and the units I've seen state
they do remove chloramines. I'm assuming this is done by the carbon
filtration rather than the actual RO unit.

It may pay to do an occasional chlorine test to make sure the carbon
filter has not been "used up" unless you keep track of the volume of
both the waste water and the RO water produced.

Just thought I'd pass this along for comment.

Jerry

interesting as one of the recommended methods of removing chloramines is
filtering through carbon and that is exactly what you do (as well as other
filters) on a R/O unit.

Rick