Old 27-05-2004, 05:02 AM
Janice

Default What are you growing this year?

On Wed, 26 May 2004 23:58:28 GMT, (Rez)
wrote:

In article , DaveH wrote:
I'm always interested to know what others are growing.

Weeds

Bermuda grass from horse manure took over the old garden and no one
got around to digging it out or moving the fence and digging a new
spot that would involve less exercise (we have to fence against the
Starving Attack Rabbits, and the sand packs hard enough that it
really has to be turned before roots can penetrate). And we had summer
in February and winter ever since. So I think this year it's limited
to the two tomato plants in the back garden.. thought I'd try 'em
there cuz nothing else will grow there (too hot) and it's safe from
rabbits.

Tho I suppose I could still start some zucchini, they grow fast enough
to have a chance of producing by midsummer. (Assuming summer ever
arrives??)

~REZ~

Sounds like here! (I can't remember who is in Idaho,) but yeah it was
warm too warm Feb, March, and part of April, then it cooled off to
"normal" temps.

I'm mostly growing weeds too. Stuff in the barrels was doing pretty
well, flowers came up out there and in the strawberry barrels, and
now.. I'm growing ELM TREES!! There was about an inch of seeds stacked
up around the place, they were getting tracked in and if someone
spills water on the carpet somewhere, and light accidentally reaches
them I'd not doubt if they'd start growing in here too! Wouldn't be
surprised, bind weed has found its way into the house more than once
where ghostly pale yellow green vines that blended in with the cabinet
color so didn't notice them until they were half way up the front
headed for the window in the kitchen, and in the laundry room it came
in the dryer vent hole and grew around the power line along the floor
to the dryer, and up the fishing pole and was headed for the string
that you pull to turn the light on! Guess it knew what to do!

But, I have solid elm tree seedlings in all the half whiskey barrel
planters, and they're in the walkways, anywhere there was dirt to grow
in because it started raining and it's rained just enough to keep the
soil damp enough for them to sprout. *sigh* I hate them sooooo! I
also have evil nasty asters all through the lawn in the back. I don't
know how it got there, as I actually managed to pay someone to keep
everything mowed back there. Grape vines are too close to be spraying
around them. Should have just reseeded lawn .. had I known it was
going to rain so much.. it'd eventually choke them out! Well I can
dream can't I?!

I hope to get a few tomato plants, a few buttercup squash vines since
the stores don't seem to carry them much these days, and when they do,
they want meat prices for them, and some peppers, zucchini, maybe some
yellow crooknecks, lettuces, and whatever else I can get someone to
plant, since I can't do so. Need to use all weed and water saving
methods possible. Newspaper and mulch I guess.

Janice