Old 27-05-2004, 05:05 AM
Go Fig

Default Still green...

In article , dkat
wrote:

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , dkat
wrote:

UV's - none. I don't use them for a reason though I have a friend who

had a
very small pond who used one and had crystal clear water. Her pond

however
was in a deck (no silt runoff into the pond), was very shaded (that in
itself will keep the algae down) and was extremely small (maybe

3X3x1.5).
I'm not against UV, I just said that this pond has silt eroding into it

and
needs more than a simple UV fix.

I agree the pond edge needs to be raised, but more for chemicals that
may be applied to that beautiful lawn and then commingle with the pond
water in heavy rain. I just don't think that that little soil border
is causing that much silt and I doubt much gets past the lawn.

This pic appears to be classic suspended algae:

http://www.thehvscene.com/pond/DSC02147.JPG

Look at the leaves of the waterlily and the horizonal sides of the liner.
Both have a layer of silt. The silt will also add nutrients that make the
algae flourish. Other pictures looked much more 'muddied' from silt than
algae but I agree on the picture you are showing it looks like spring algae
growth that I get before the hyacinth has been put into my upper pond and
taken over. If they use UV, I assume they will have to filter before the
UV. Is that the case? That is where in there current system would they put
the UV?

The less turbid the water is the more efficient, so after any
mechanical filtration is better. As for the OP situation, I don't have
enough details from those pics.

I like my almost 'natural' way of doing
things but that is what tickles my 'fancy'.

Lets be fair: you have a pump ? A mechanical filter (maybe) ? Would you
use meds ? How bout potash for all those water hyacinths of yours? Ever
drain your pond for a good cleaning ?

This is why I said "almost 'natural'"

I have a pump to move the water up to the veggie filter. The pump
(waterfall pump that takes large particles) sits in a bucket with lava rocks
to serve as a bio filter. I don't clean out the pond (though when wading
through it to move rocks or plants I will scoop out leaves if they are under
foot and feel slippery... I don't use meds or potash.

So you let natural selection work its magic... herons, raccoons ?

I did try dunking my
hyacinths in Miracle grow when I first started my pond thinking 'what could
it hurt'... killed them dead. As I said, I'm lazy - really, really lazy.
And now that I think of it I'm also cheap - really, really cheap. And again
I don't have anything negative to say about UVs. I simply posted what
works for me and is inexpensive and easy. Many far more competent people
here use UV as well as incredibly impressive filters, piping, drain systems,
etc.

And what is venturi ozone?

Straight ozone injected from a venturi fitting. Great for organic
detritus.

jay
Wed May 26, 2004

For years here, some posters here have singled out UVs for this
'natural' argument, I don't get it... what could be more unnatural than
an electric water pump ??? UV is a natural occurring action on all
ponds, natural or ornamental.

I'll start my campaign for venturi ozone at some point in the future :-)

jay
Wed May 26, 2004

I'm also extremely lazy,
overworked, underpaid, 5'2", 55 yrs, out of shape, etc... I don't have

the
time, energy, muscle or patience to do what a lot of ponders here do.

My
setup is extremely simple, relatively small (about 1000 gals at most)

and
crystal clear most of the time with very, very, little work involved (I
throw food at the fish, add water when needed, watch the cats make fools

of
themselves lusting after the fish). My biggest concern is my three
butterfly koi and my albino cat getting too big for the pond and not

knowing
what to do other than build a bigger pond