Old 27-05-2004, 09:09 AM
Sacha

Default OT honey bees in roof

On 27/5/04 0:37, in article ,
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

From what I recall of my bee keeping days and I'm sure *someone* will
correct me, crystallising or not is a temperature 'thang'. That's how e.g.
Gales provide solid or runny hunny.

No. The type of honey is determined by the flowers the bees plunder.
Some produce clear runny honey, some hoey which gradually sets to a
thick paste, while some, like rape flowers, produce a honey which is
spoon-bendingly solid.

Gales almost certainly blend theirs for consistency of consistency.

I'm pretty sure heating comes into it somewhere with commercial honey - to
keep it runny, I mean. I know that my home grown honey gradually thickened
up as it got older (don't we all) but standing a jar of such honey in a bowl
of hot water or on top of an AGA will turn it runny again. I remember
asking an expert bee keeper friend about why Gales runny honey stayed that
way and heating it was the answer but I can't remember to what temp.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk