Old 27-05-2004, 09:10 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Bloody walnuts!

In article ,
Kay Easton writes:

| Folks, a question
| What stage are your walnut trees at right now?
|
| I planted one last year. It took an age to leaf, and its still not out
| NOW this year. Its not dead, the buds are sloooowly opening. I am in a
| bit of a cooler climate than normal (elevated windy welsh hillside) and
| the hedges are always about 2-3 weeks behind, but is this normal for the
| end of May??
|
| Mine produced leaves a couple of weeks ago (W Yorks, 400 ft) so yours
| would seem to be a bit late but not desperately so.

Mine was quite a while back, but this is being a REALLY weird year.
The lack of any really cold weather, combined with alternating
spells of warm and cold, have meant that it is simultaneously one
of the earliest and latest years I have ever seen, and things that
normally occur in one order have occurred in the other.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.