Old 27-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Liza

Default horse compose

What everyone failed to mention to you in regards to horse manure :

If the horse's have recently been wormed, the manure will also kill any
worms you have in the garden if applied directly. Check with your neighbour
when they wormed their horses last. If recently, use the manure, but only in
a heated compost pile, not directly onto the garden.

To get your compost to heat up : Add a equal mixture of manure, dry leaves
straw etc, green manure such as grass clippings, water well and cover with
something. (plastic/paper/cardboard etc)

Kirsty
"Alpinekid" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm starting my garden and my neighbors have horses.

Does horse manure make a good compost for the garden?
Are there any special steps I should take before using it?
Is it possible to use too much? I have really bad soil where almost
nothing grows.

I located in the high desert of Az, 5500ft.
Al