Old 27-05-2004, 05:20 PM
Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat

Default Green peppers.

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan
Rat writes
I have three green pepper plants that I have grown in a big pot on the
bedroom windowsill (nice and warm and sunny). I just bunged some seeds

from
a green pepper my bf was eating in a pot in March on a whim, and now here
they are !

Just as well you didn't sow the pot! :-)

I can't believe they just upped and sprouted. I am pleased, I didn't think
it would be that simple. Of course, I have to tend to them outside now,
which opens up a whole new can of worms !

So, I understand I can put them outside in the very sunny spot alongside

my
tomatoes (which are already out there, first time of having them so we'll
see if I put 'em out too early) later next month. Question is - do I have

pinch any side shoots or whatever, like one does with certain tomatoes (I
got "Shirley" ? I think it's called, or maybe that was who grew it - I
bought it as a small plant in a charity shop for fifty pee :-) and a
variety of cherry tomato that escapes me right now). I don't know what

sort
of green pepper they are - Sainsbury's specials, I imagine. ;-)

Green peppers are just a little more tender than tomatoes. We always
grow ours in a greenhouse, but it depends on your locality. Don't pinch
out any side-shoots. Tall growing plants can be pinched off at the top
to make them bushier, but that is not essential. Give them a stake each
for support. Hand pollinate the first flowers on each plant.

Hand polinate .... new to all this veggie stuff - how do I go about doing
that ?

We don't wait for the fruits to become completely ripe, or to change
colour. We pick them early to encourage more to grow.

OK. Noted.

Also, I don't do chemical fertilisers - will these fruiters be happy with
nettle soup ? I got quite abit of that hanging about.

Yes indeed. That's what we always give ours. It improves their flavour
and it helps to protect the plants from ailments. Don't overdo it
though, too much feeding or watering leads to mushy flesh texture.
Same goes for tomatoes etc.

Right. How much is too much, or is that a nebulous thing ?

If you get a glut - they freeze very well.

I reckon the bf will eat them off the plant if I'm not careful - he loves
them, so I probably won't have to freeze any. Thing is, I *don't* actually
like them - I told you I sowed them on a whim ! Heheheheh. ;-)

Rachael