Old 27-05-2004, 06:09 PM
Jeff Spicoli

Default Still green...

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in
:

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , Benign Vanilla
wrote:

"dkat" wrote in message
. net...
Something I forgot to mention... While the UV may give
beautifully 'non pea soup' water it does nothing to eliminate the
wastes from fish/animals/etc. That is another reason I am so happy
with my veggie filter. So even if you do go the UV route I still
think there is more than one reason for a veggie filter (removing
silt and toxins). By the by, my lone little hyacinth is already
clearing things up (put it in this last Sunday).
snip

YES!!! Very important point. UV clarifiers are NOT filters. If
anything they just contribute to the bioload of the pond.

Hows that. I can think of few things that deposit more bio-load than
a pond full of suspended algae. When it is finally staved of a food
source and dies away, it settles to the bottom of your pond... it is
not, for the most part, consumed by your veggie filters. A sand
filter, however can pull it from the pond.

UV light inhibits the algae from reproducing, that is cutting the
bio-load.

My point is that UV clarifiers kill algae that pass through them. Dead
algae can become food for hungry live algae. I am not saying UV is bad,
don't get me wrong. I am not saying that. I am just saying that UV
clarifiers do not filter the water, they kill things in the water, and
then let the things move right on through. Filtration to me, IMHO, is
the removal of a from b. UV just kills a and leaves it in B. UV is a
supplemental tool, not a replacement for filtration.

BV.

I have to agree w/ Jay on this one...

--
B. Swanky - Boutique Giftware with Flair!
Specializes in clothing and gifts for infant, baby and toddler. We also