Old 27-05-2004, 06:13 PM
Robyn Rhudy

Default Good Site to have

Thank goodness I have a Masters in analytical chemistry or I'd never be
able to absorb the list! It's a little more complex than it seems too. I
noticed most of the charges were left off the anions and cations. I noted
a few below.

On Wed, 26 May 2004, The Outcaste wrote:

On Wed, 26 May 2004 14:05:45 -0400, "RedForeman =A9=AE"
bubbled forth the following:

|| H2O for water. I use this in my tanks.
|| --
|| - Charles

Oh that was funny..... I almost spit out my lunch... :-)

updated, some left out for length...
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
K - Potassium
KNO3 - Potassium Nitrate
KMnO4 - Potassium permanganate
N - Nitrogen
NO3 - Nitrate
NO2 - Nitrite
I - Iodine

Also, Iodide =3D I- (that's superscripted)

Fe - Iron
H2O2 - Hydrogen Peroxide
Ca - Calcium
Mg - Magnesium
MgSO4 for magnesium sulfate, aka Epson Salts.
NaNO3 - Sodium nitrate
NH3 - Ammonia
NH4NO3 - Ammonium Nitrite
Na - Sodium

S - Sulfer

Sulfur

Cl for chlorine

Cl2 =3D chlorine gas, Cl- =3D chloride (the 2 is subscripted and the -
superscripted)

NaCl sodium chloride, aka salt.
H or H2 for Hydrogen.

In water it's hydronium cation or H3O+ (3 subscripted, + superscripted)
but commonly mistold to be H+.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Can't believe you left out one I know you are using -- CO2

Here's a few more for the list:
C7H7SO2N NaCl(3H2O) - N-Chloro-Para-Toluene Sulfonamide Sodium Salt
(aka Chloramine-T, used for treating external parasites)
CaCO3 - Calcium Carbonate (aka calcite, crushed coral)
CaMg(CO3)2 - Calcium Magnesium Carbonate (aka Dolomite)
CO2 - Carbon Dioxide
K2SO4 - Potassium Sulfate
KCl - Potassium Chloride
KH2PO4 - Potassium Di-hydrogen Orthophosphate (aka Archerite)
NaHCO3 - Sodium Bicarbonate (aka Baking Soda)
NH2Cl - Monochloramine
NH4 - Ammonium

NH4+ actually

P - Phosphorus
PO4 - Phosphorus Oxide (Orthophosphate)

PO4-2 =3D phosphate

SO3 - Sulfite

SO3-

SO4 - Sulfate

SO4-2

And sorted alphabetically:
C7H7SO2N NaCl(3H2O) - N-Chloro-Para-Toluene Sulfonamide Sodium Salt
(aka Chloramine-T, used for treating external parasites)
Ca - Calcium
CaCO3 - Calcium Carbonate (aka calcite, crushed coral)
CaMg(CO3)2 - Calcium Magnesium Carbonate (aka Dolomite)
Cl for Chlorine

Cl2 =3D chlorine gas, Cl- =3D chloride

CO2 - Carbon Dioxide
Fe - Iron
H or H2 for Hydrogen.
H2O2 - Hydrogen Peroxide
I - Iodine
K - Potassium
K2SO4 - Potassium Sulfate
KCl - Potassium Chloride
KH2PO4 - Potassium Di-hydrogen Orthophosphate (aka Archerite)
KMnO4 - Potassium Permanganate
KNO3 - Potassium Nitrate
Mg - Magnesium
MgSO4 Magnesium Sulfate, aka Epson Salts.
N - Nitrogen
Na - Sodium
NaCl Sodium Chloride (aka Salt)
NaHCO3 - Sodium Bicarbonate (aka Baking Soda)
NaNO3 - Sodium Nitrate
NH2Cl - MonoChloramine
NH3 - Ammonia
NH4 - Ammonium

NH4+

NH4NO3 - Ammonium Nitrite
NO2 - Nitrite

NO2-

NO3 - Nitrate

NO3-

P - Phosphorus
PO4 - Phosphorus Oxide (Orthophosphate)
S - Sulfur
SO3 - Sulfite
SO4 - Sulfate

SO4-2

HTH

Jerry

Back to my hellish chem job!

Important Notice! Robyn's web site has moved from
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/ to http://www.fishpondinfo.com. This
e-mail as well as the old site (which refers to the new site) will be
deleted on 9/24/04 by UMBC (I have no say in it). After that date,
please use the e-mail of instead of this e-mail.
Please spread the word that my site has moved. Thanks.

Chemist, preservationist, animal lover, aquarist, and ponder. -
Extensive web pages on animals, fish, and ponds. -
http://www.fishpondinfo.com
Free pond newsletter - sign up at my web site -
Finally! Buy Robyn's Pond Book at www.1stbooks.com -