Old 27-05-2004, 08:17 PM

Default Sources for "organic material"

On Thu, 27 May 2004 18:52:45 GMT, "William W. Plummer"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 27 May 2004 15:23:42 GMT, "William W. Plummer"
wrote:

"Steve Wolfe" wrote in message
I'm planning on getting a big load of topsoil to "dome" it, but I
really need to do something about the clay. They say the best thing
to do with clay soil is to work "organic material" into the clay.

The
most readily available organic material ( that I don't produce

myself!
) is mulch, basically wood chips. I would much rather go with some
kind of compost. Where does one go to find a truck load of compost?

In our area, at the landfill. They receive "green waste" seperately,
chip/shred it, compost it, and sell it for something like $15 per truck
load.

Be careful about "compost". You don't want it to contain grass

clippings
from a lawn that has been treated with weed killers because it will

affect
the garden where you will apply it. Pre-emergent weed killers could

cause
your a newly seeded lawn to fail. Also, wood chips consume a lot of
nitrogen in order to decay. But nitrogen is needed for plants to produce
"green".

Won't the 'composting' action kill off the effectivness of 'weed
killers' Even without the composting action, the weed killers I use
seem to only work for a few months.

I don't know, Tom, but I have been cautioned about it. You might ask an
expert like Paul Parent. Here's the composting section of his web site:
http://www.paulparent.com/seed/composting.html He takes calls on the radio
on Sunday mornings from 6AM to 10AM and appears at various garden centers in
New England on the afternoons.

Cool site. I like the list of do compost and don't compost. Kinda
"Stupid Easy"

later,

tom

Our Latest site: http://www.MedicalJobList.com - Hospital Jobs Classifieds.