Old 27-05-2004, 08:20 PM
Kay Easton

Default Are squirrels OT?

In article ,
redclay writes

I've never felt there was enough meat on them to even try.

I'm not sure how readily available rat poison such as Decon is in the UK but
in suburban America a great number of people put it out for the tree rats,
incorrectly called gray squirrels.

I can understand that you dislike gray squirrels as much as you do rats,
and therefore prefer to call them tree rats; but I cannot understand why
you feel the name gray squirrel is 'incorrect' (apart from your spelling
of grey, that is). Granted, both rats and grey squirrels are rodents;
but so are red squirrels, and both red and grey squirrels are in the
squirrel family and in the same genus Sciurus (ie as closely related as
they can be without being the same species); whereas rats are in an
entirely different family. Calling a grey squirrel a tree rat is about
as accurate as calling your neighbour's tom cat a tree poodle.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: