Old 27-05-2004, 09:13 PM
unspokenchaos

Default Murky pond water

Is there a special solution I can use to rid of the algae?

Thanks,
John
"Snooze" wrote in message . com...
"unspokenchaos" wrote in message
om...
The water is green, we use a mechanical pond filtering system. As far
as the size, I would guess somewhere around 1000-1500 gallons. We
have koi. Let me know if you need any other info.

Thanks so much,
John

Green water suggests that you have an algae problem. A mechanical filter
helps remove suspended solids from the water, like dust, bits of left over
fish food, leaves, fish poop.

Most people in this newsgroup deploy multiple filters with different
purposes to maintain water clarity and quality.

1: Mechanical filter to remove the easily removed solids, can be a screen or
filter material, or just a settling chamber.

2: A biological filter, is designed to provide an area where beneficial
bacteria can grow in high density to convert fish the nitrogen compounds in
fish urine, from urea and ammonia to less toxic nitrate and nitrite
compounds. This is often made by using window screening material, bio-balls
or the green scouring pads

3: A vegetable filter. This is simply aquatic plants. Plants are higher
order species are much more efficient at removing nutrients from the water,
compared to algae, so they will starve out algae. Some plants, like water
lilies shade the water and deny the algae the sunlight it needs. If legal in
your state, try and get some water hyacinth, they are extremely efficient at
their job.

4: Ultraviolet filter. This is my personal least favorite method, and I
don't use one. Water from the pump is passed through a chamber that a UV
lamp shining on it. The algae and anything else in the chamber is exposed to
intense UV light, killing it.

Snooze