Old 27-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Kenni Judd

Default Specimen Size Plants

Diana: At that stage, and given your choice of media, you might consider
baskets. They are lighter than clay pots, so they don't build the triceps
quite as fast G... also faster-draining, which is usually a plus for big
containers. A couple of our larger Smbcna. Garnet Glory are headed for 16"
baskets -- I can't find clay pots that big, don't think I could afford them
if I found them, and am not sure my triceps would be up for it even then.

The inverted pot works well -- we do that a lot. Or if you have a tight
root-ball you don't want to disturb that much, use the really _big_ chunks
of charcoal or lava rock in the bottom of the basket, if the height needs to
be raised. P-nuts are cheaper and lighter initially, but will eventually
compress/break under the weight.

One other point about specimens in baskets -- once you do this, you don't
want to have to take them back out any time soon. Since your media won't go
bad, you're halfway there; the other issue is "potting height." If you
position the plant high in the basket, it will grow over the sides rather
than out through the slats. At which point you will still have the choice
of whether to go with an even larger basket [by just dropping the existing
one into the bigger one and filling around], or just let the plant grow into
a big ball.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
k.net...
All,

Compared with many of you, I am a relative newbie, having grown orchids

for
only 5 years. I have lots of plants that are now coming into their own,

but
I also have some very large Catts.

Some of our Catts are too large now for 10 or 12" pots, and it's time to
repot. I can divide them, but there are a few that I'd like to keep

intact.
What do you all do when they get this big and are very healthy? What

about
rot in the center? I grow Catts in rock or Aliflor, or a combination of
both, so I don't have a problem with bark rot.

All advice welcome and appreciated!

Diana