Old 28-05-2004, 12:24 AM
Go Fig

Default Still green...

In article , volts500
wrote:

"Go Fig" wrote in message

For years here, some posters here have singled out UVs for this
'natural' argument, I don't get it... what could be more unnatural than
an electric water pump ???

IMHO, a UV light only addresses the symptom, suspended algae, rather than
the cause, a high nutrient load. An electric water pump that provides
sufficient water circulation/gas exchange, as you know, helps increase
Oxygen levels so that the natural processes can function better to reduce
the high nutrient load.

That alone will not clear green water however, look at the Gardin de
Luxemburg in Paris... but a friend told me they too are now using UV.

To me, clear water (without using UV) is an
indicator that the biofiltration/Oxygen levels are sufficient to handle the
given bio-load.

Sure, but where exactly are you getting your biofiltration in early
spring, when ponds are, by natures design, experiencing algae blooms ?
While I run UV all season long, its job for the most part, is done by
July when my WH are well into blooming.

I freak if I have 100ppm nitrate even in a very old pond.

The result being better water quality, which, as we all
know, goes a long way towards preventing disease. A veggie filter, IMO,
helps take the load off the bio-filter.

A bio-filter (cultured media) does little for nitrates, that takes
plants and water changes.

Some people use AZT, which, as you
know, provides the enzymes/bacteria to help speed up the biochemical
processes.

That is good money after bad IMHO.

IMHO, Oxygen is the key element to make all these things happen.
Low DOC (Dissolved Oxygen Content) and things start breaking down.

You would love ozone then ;-)

jay
Thu May 27, 2004