Old 28-05-2004, 01:06 AM
Kate ......

Default Question -

I have hear others say they liked the puff balls. How do you prepare them? Kate

steve wrote:

Steve wrote in message ...
steve wrote:
Must be be my lucky day then, I found some fresh morels growing in my
yard, I'm not much of an mushroom person but from what I hear it's a
very coveted mushroom. They were growing underneath spruce pine trees,
no elms in sight. I checked it out carefully to see if its the real
thing and not a poisonous false morel, and yes it seems to be the real
mcoy, So anyone here know how I should cook them, or can I eat them
raw? thanks.

Steve, you must be lucky. I'm not that much of a mushroom person
either, yet I feel a twinge of envy. I can't remember the last time
I actually ate a wild mushroom.
That answers the original question that started this thread I
believe. Also explains why you have morels with no elm trees. Humm,
I have plenty of aspens and white pines around here...

I also have alot of cedar trees and mixed spruce and white pine, last
fall I had alot of wild mushrooms coming up, some very strange ones I
couldnt identify. Puff balls are my favourite, they grow well here
also. Last year I picked one that was the size of a basketball, good
eating too, tastes similar to white mushrooms you get at the
supermarket.

That one is pretty informative too. I scroll down to the last map
and well, what do you know.... a dot in the southern Adirondacks.
Maybe I should get out there and look. Of course, the black flies
might eat me alive if I went into the woods. Black fly season
probably ends at the same time as morel season. There's probably a
million morels out there for that very reason (or not).

Steve (the other one) in the Adirondacks

Right now the mosquitoes, black flies and soon, the deerflys will chew
you up and spit you out, they are very bad here as I expect most
places in the wilds, better to stay home and buy some mushrooms from
the grocery, LOL.