Old 28-05-2004, 01:14 AM
Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat

Default Solar Lighting

"Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat" wrote in message

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan
Rat writes

I find the best deterrent is two huge German Shepherd dogs. They don't

even
have to meet the burglar to be sucessful - the mere sight of two huge

beasts
snarling at the windows, baying for the blood of the unwelcome tends to
deter tea leaves, even if they *are* confident they could sue us (don't

get
me started on such laws) for getting bitten after breaking in - that

ain't
much compensation to you if you've got no face and no genitalia ! Cold
callers have stopped coming round too, which isn't half bad. ;-)

We have friends of friends who had a big dog.
The burglars put poisoned meat through the letter box and broke in once
the dog was on its last legs ((((((

I'm sorry to hear that. I saw that trick coming years ago (my dad used to
fit security systems to houses and commercial properties, so I'm aware of

few such nasty techniques) and got an outside (metal lockable) letter box.
Fifteen quid from the local diy shop, shove it on the wall outside, no

more
concerns ! If anyone is nuts enough to want to steal my junk mail (no-one
has so far) then it's no great loss.

A box to catch the mail or other items screwed on the inside of the door
works too, but my door is one that won't give space for that.

Just to add to this - I hope it would go without saying that if you get an
outside letter box, you should screw the one in the door up from the inside
for this method of doggie protection to work.

Rachael