Old 28-05-2004, 01:15 AM
Bob Hobden

Default Beeb Chelsea coverage

"RichardS" wrote in message :

hmmm, on that note, would you class Hampton Court as a show that would be
genuine interest to 'real' gardeners?

Reason I ask is that we're considering going - it's only a couple of miles
down the road from us - and persuading my parents to come down

fromYorkshire
for it as well. (related question - my father can't walk long distances

any
more without a great deal of pain in his legs, is he likely to find places
to be able to rest there? Don't smoke, kids, it'll kill ya...)

Although I'm enjoying watching the coverage of Chelsea I can't really say
that I'd be tempted to go. Altogether seems like a lot of hard work and a
long day out...

Hampton Court is, just like Chelsea, of interest to real gardeners. Don't
let anyone tell you different.
They differ in the space available, that HC is not in London, the fact that
you can drive to HC (if you have the time!) and park, that you can actually
buy what you see at HC, but Chelsea has the better displays and plants.
There are more "normal" gardeners at HC (the dirty broken fingernail type)
but then Chelsea is on the social calendar like Ascot.

If your Father can't walk far you will need to take some form of seating for
him, a shooting stick perhaps, the extra space at HC means more walking than
Chelsea and that is bad enough. Both very tiring, wear very comfortable
shoes.

p.s. driving from the West, Teddington/Hampton/Sunbury etc it's worthwhile
driving through Bushy Park rather than that solid jam on the road from
Kempton Park by the river, can save ages.

Don't let anyone else know. :-)
--
Regards
Bob