Old 28-05-2004, 02:11 AM
dkat

Default Still green...

Where to you get the water hyacinths to start in your hot house (feeling
envious of someone having WH in April...)?

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , Benign Vanilla
wrote:

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , Benign Vanilla
wrote:

"dkat" wrote in message
. net...
Something I forgot to mention... While the UV may give

beautifully
'non
pea
soup' water it does nothing to eliminate the wastes from

fish/animals/etc.
That is another reason I am so happy with my veggie filter. So

even if
you
do go the UV route I still think there is more than one reason for

veggie
filter (removing silt and toxins). By the by, my lone little

hyacinth
is
already clearing things up (put it in this last Sunday).
snip

YES!!! Very important point. UV clarifiers are NOT filters. If

anything
they
just contribute to the bioload of the pond.

Hows that. I can think of few things that deposit more bio-load than

pond full of suspended algae. When it is finally staved of a food
source and dies away, it settles to the bottom of your pond... it is
not, for the most part, consumed by your veggie filters. A sand

filter,
however can pull it from the pond.

UV light inhibits the algae from reproducing, that is cutting the
bio-load.

My point is that UV clarifiers kill algae that pass through them. Dead

algae
can become food for hungry live algae. I am not saying UV is bad, don't

get
me wrong. I am not saying that. I am just saying that UV clarifiers do

not
filter the water, they kill things in the water, and then let the things
move right on through. Filtration to me, IMHO, is the removal of a from

b.
UV just kills a and leaves it in B. UV is a supplemental tool, not a
replacement for filtration.

Sure, but that is exactly what I have always maintained.

Heck, I start my WH in a hothouse in Feb and they are thriving in ponds
by the 3rd week in Apr.. But I always try to incorporate a sand filter
to my ponds. I've just completed a 5K gal one and I'm using 1k lbs of
#16 silica in two filters. The 120 watts of UV that I will use on this
one... is only to lessen the burden on the sand filters (read: me
opening them and that mess)... cause there isn't a suspended algae out
there that can get past 1K of #16 sand.

jay
Thu May 27, 2004

BV.