Old 28-05-2004, 03:09 AM
Steveo

Default neon red mites, what are they?

Beware of your evergreens with those mites.

wrote:
On Thu, 27 May 2004 23:28:30 GMT, Timothy
wrote:

On Thu, 27 May 2004 15:38:57 -0400, junkmail01 wrote:

We have a fish pond our back yard, it's outlined with flat stones. On
these stones are tiny, neon orange/red bugs. They look like very tiny
mites. It appears that they only hang out by the fish pond, and they
Wifey swears they bite.

Anyone have a clue what they are and where I can get more information
on them?

Thank you, post your replies here.

Tom

Good day Tom. It sounds like spider mites. Take a look at these pages
and see what you think:
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05507.html

http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/en...pidermites.htm

Thanks for the reply.

But after reading, spider mites are suppose to like dry, warm
conditions. The buggers we have are hanging out on very hot stone,
right next to a running water fall, and active fish pond. They are
also very flat looking, and extramely brightly colored, red. you
squish them they leave bright red 'smush'.

Did a search on red spider mites and checked the photos and I"m
guessing that's what I have. We have a big ladybug population, and
having lots of ladybug food(the mites) might explain it.

Thanks, no I have to figure a safe way(since right at pond water line)
to get rid of them. Wifey is alergic to almost all insect bites and
stings.

thanks,

tom